A Handbook of Islam
Abridged Edition of
The Religion of Islam
by Maulana Muhammad Ali
This new work, A Handbook of Islam, is available electronically in three formats:
- Html format. Each chapter is in a separate file.
- Pdf format. The entire book is in one pdf file (~4MB).
- Kindle format. A .mobi file for Kindle and Kindle apps on tablets etc. (2.4MB). 16 May 2015
Electronic features of all versions
Items in the list of contents are hyperlinks to the appropriate places in the book (i.e., clicking/tapping on an item will take you to its location in the book itself). Any cross references within the book are also hyperlinks. References in the Index can also be clicked to reach the location in the book.
Tip: When reading the pdf version in a pdf reader, when you click on a link and reach a different page, you can return to the place that you clicked from, by pressing ALT+left arrow in your pdf reader.
Extra electronic features in the html and Kindle versions
- In the html and Kindle versions, the notes at the end of each chapter are linked to their referring points in the main text. Clicking/tapping on a note number at its referring point in the main text takes you to the note, and conversely the note number at the beginning of the note itself takes you to its referring point in the text. This feature cannot be provided in the pdf version for technical reasons.
- In the html version, in case of explanatory notes only (as distinct from notes which consist of just references), tooltips have been inserted which display the text of the note when the mouse is hovered over the note reference. See example below.
- As there is a limit to the amount of text that can be displayed in a tooltip box, we have had to shorten some notes when adding them to tooltip boxes.
For the record, the first edition of The Religion of Islam is available at this link.